One of the best parts about cooking is that you can play around with new ingredients all the time. While there are some staple items that you will probably always use for simple baking recipes, it’s essential to experiment sometimes to get a unique recipe or meal. Of course, this rule rings true, especially during the holiday seasons when people may be looking for something special for their loved ones.
Its rich and succulent taste brings numerous possibilities to any recipe. This sauce is a blend of sweet and savory flavors rolled into one delicious salve. The buttery sweetness from the caramel plays so well with the other components in this dish. You will never want another sauce again after trying this. While bourbon caramel is a beautiful sauce on its own, sometimes it can be part of a larger dish.
Have you been using caramel as a primary ingredient for years, or are you looking to incorporate it into your cooking for the very first time?
Here are five unique ways to spice up your classic recipes.
1. Add It to Potato Recipes
One of our favorite ways to enjoy it is by adding it to sweet potatoes. This adds a subtle sweetness that enhances the natural flavor of the potato. Plus, who doesn’t love mashed potatoes? Make them extra special next time by garnishing them with some bourbon caramel sauce!
2. Use It in Coffee Drinks
Bourbon and coffee are a delightful combination that tastes equally as great hot or cold. Add some freshly brewed espresso over ice cubes in an old-fashioned glass and top with two tablespoons of creamy whipped cream.
Add one tablespoon of the sauce for one delicious iced coffee drink on a summer day! Try making your own homemade Frappuccino for another recipe by adding some bourbon sauce to a blender with the coffee, ice cubes, and milk. Blend until smooth for a fantastic summertime treat.
3. Apple Pies
Who doesn’t love the combination of sweet apples and gooey caramel? One thing that makes this recipe even better is adding some bourbon to it!
- For this recipe, you’ll need 2 cups apples (peeled, cored, sliced), ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. Corn starch, ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon and two pie crusts.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine apple slices, brown sugar, and cornstarch until all apple slices are nicely coated in the mixture. Pour fillings into the pie crust that has been pressed firmly into a 9-inch cake pan or dish.
- Cut the remaining pie crust into strips about 1-inch wide and place them over the pie filling.
- Poke holes in the top crust using a fork. Bake for 50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Let cool, then drizzle on some Caramel Sauce!
4. Make Your Caramel Ice Cream
Our last recipe is one that we know you will love because it involves eating more caramel which is never a bad thing! This easy homemade ice cream recipe starts by making some vanilla bean caramel sauce. Yes, you have to start from scratch, but it’s worth it!
- One cup of bourbon sauce (preferably homemade)
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- Two teaspoons of cornstarch.
Combine all ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Freeze for one hour in an ice cream maker. Serve immediately with a side of roasted, salted peanuts
5. Popcorn Balls
This recipe takes just 5 minutes to prep and yields 6-8 servings, making it an easy last-minute addition to any party.
- 1 Bag of Microwave Popcorn Kernels
- ½ cup of Bourbon Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Butter (unsalted is the best)
Heat the popcorn kernels and butter in a large microwaveable bowl for 3 minutes on high power, stirring every 30 seconds. Allow to cool about 5 minutes, then stir in your caramel sauce until well mixed. Form into 1-2 inch balls and enjoy!
Caramel sauce is a great way to add some complexity and depth to any recipe. So there you have it! Five easy and unique ways to incorporate bourbon sauce into any recipe. We hope that this has helped you out in some way!
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to share it with your friends and family. Until next time!